Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Wish Upon a Wedding - Nonprofit Organization

While browsing a blog I frequently visit, greenweddingshoes.com I noticed they had an icon that said: We Are A Proud Sponsor of Wish Upon A Wedding.... What is that?
I opened the link.... It's a nonprofit organization that provides weddings and vow renewals to couples facing terminal illness or other serious life-altering circumstances, regardless of sexual orientation. Often, couples facing such situations do not have the energy, time, money, or resources needed to plan their wedding. This organization takes care of all the details, offering couples a chance to relax and enjoy a very special day while surrounded by the love of their closest family and friends providing memories that will last a lifetime.
This touched my heart more than any other nonprofit organization has and I campaign for a few: Habitat for Humanity, American Heart/Cancer Association, Shepherds Door, and United way. This one though.... Here I am planning a wedding, it's the most exciting time of my life and for these people it's their last wish. Everyone who is in love should get to experience the joy of getting married. And it reminded me of the first book I actually read front to back without putting it down: A Walk To Remember by Nicholas Sparks. Still a favorite of mine, and I've read a lot of books since then. 

Here is a short video of one of the many fulfilled wishes Wish Upon A Wedding has granted. 
(Get out your tissue, you're going to need it)




When Wish Upon a Wedding was first contacted by a social worker at Providence Hospice of Seattle, they were told Shelly had less than three weeks to live. Battling a rare form of cancerous lymphoma, which had left her very weak and nearly unable to leave her own bed, Shelly was in hospice care, and had a desire to have one last special celebration of life, to marry her long time fiance James. Shelly passed away just over three weeks after she married "Jay" who faces his own medical challenges with MS.
Read the rest of their story here along with others here. 


After I watched a few of these videos and read through the stories I knew I wanted to get involved. I emailed the president for my local chapter in Portland OR, explained to her my experience in nonprofit fundraising and asked for a meeting to go over what I can do to help. Everyone deserves to feel a love like that and a wedding to complete it, regardless of illness and sexual orientation. I'd be honored to help fulfill that. 


If you feel the need to get involved as well you can help by making a donation here. Or see if there is a Wish Upon A Wedding Chapter in your area here.


And if you know someone who is facing terminal illness or other serious life-altering circumstances that would like to get married please refer them to Wish Upon A Wedding. They've got a good thing going on here.



Danielle and Tony-Wish Upon a Wedding 


Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...